Sunday, April 26, 2020

Tomato plants have such a pleasant scent. Every time I water them they show their appreciation  by sending forth that wonderful fragrance.Plants say 'Thank you'  if you pay attention. Basil does the same thing.
I start my tomato plants  in egg cartons on my window sills. Each window holds 3 cartons perfectly. Then I transfer them to yogurt cups until it's time to move them out into the greenhouse.I usually already have them in the greenhouse by now but it has been too cold because of all this global warming. I 'll probably transfer them this week if the nights aren't too cold. I grow 2 types of tomato plants, heirloom ( so that I can save seeds and replant them)  and hybrids for heavy big meaty tomatoes.They have to be planted away from the heirlooms so that they don't cross pollinate and ruin the heirloom reproducing capability.
      What will I do with all those plants ??  I have around 50 altogether.  Well, tomato sauce, whole tomatoes, tomato puree' and tomato soup, ketchup, BBQ  sauce and  salsa. 


Then there are soups and stews to be made, and I add tomatoes to canned Swiss steak and hot Italian peppers.When you don't have time to cook you can just dump out a jar of  sausage & peppers into a bowl and heat them up in the microwave then put them on a roll or over rice or noodles which don't take as much time to prepare. Even though I complain, " I don't want to see one more tomato !!!" by the end of canning season I miss having fresh tomatoes  right out of the garden when fall comes .around. By February I'm so happy to see the seed catalogues come in the mail,

No comments:

Post a Comment