Friday, August 16, 2013

Garden vs Weeds

Early mornings and evenings are the best times to toss the weeds to the curb, but by August I am overwhelmed with trying to keep up with garden maintenance. 

Proverbs 31: has verses that speak of a virtuous woman whose worth is above rubies. That is also true of  grandsons who help their old goat grandparents keep up with the weeds and horse manure and chicken houses and lawn mowing and haying the horses and sheep,etc,etc. I love them dearly.

A roto-tiller wipes out weeds in between rows  and re-creates beauty where 1 hour before I thought that all was lost (:

After 8 years of horse manure and green manure (all that grows green) in the red clay old horse pasture, our soil is looking like potting soil !!  I haven't seen a single bug ( outside of spiders) in the garden. The turkeys and chickens scratch and comb through every nook and cranny. YESSSS!! I do lose a few tomatoes.They beak the heck out of them . In the spring they dust bathed on a daily basis and ate every bug they could find. Once green growth started, they lost interest in going there and took off to other places on the farm.I had to replant corn thrice and green beans twice.
Yesterday my greenhouse was delivered. That will be interesting !!

No comments:

Post a Comment