Saturday, October 3, 2009

Country Fairs



Finally we had a sunny day, here in Pa. The entire Fair week has been gloomy, rainy & cold.Therefore, when the 50 mile radius of counties awoke this AM, we all decided to "Go to the Fair!".Just too,too many people. At least for me.However, we made our way to the agricultural buildings and observed pigs, goats, sheep and cows all napping with the afternoon sun shining into their stalls.Fresh clean straw matressed each stall and every barnyard animal seemed content with a half smile as it slept in the afternoon sun.Holstein cows have udders the size of tractor trailer sized gas tanks! They are the favored milk cows up here for obvious reasons. Yet, I have an affinity for Jersey Cows.They give less milk, but higher cream content.I'm not a milk drinker, so I don't have a cow. Less than 100 years ago, families had cows for their personal use. This is an oddity for us nowadays. DON'T let it be!! A milk cow can be a small community provider.

1 comment:

  1. Look at those UDDERS! Awesome! I have a Holstein/Jersey mix. She is pretty! She is off getting bred right now so I will not know for awhile yet how she will milk.

    ReplyDelete